The DinoDirect app for Android allows compatible Dino-Lite and Android devices to connect directly via USB.
Google Play Store
The DinoDirect app has been pulled from the Google Play Store by Dino-Lite due to the specific requirements the app needs in order to work properly. Some users reported issues after downloading the app and attempting to use it with their incompatible Dino-Lite or Android device. Please ensure that your Dino-Lite and Android device meet the following criteria before downloading and installing the DinoDirect app.
|Dino-Lite Series||Model #|
|Premier||3111, 3113, 3713☨, 3715☨, 4111*, 4113*|
|Edge||4115, 4515, 4815☨, 4915, 7013☨, 7115, 7515, 7915|
|Dino-Eye Series||Model #|
☨ Model discontinued
|DinoDirect App||Android OS||Android Feature|
|v1.1||4.4 or later||USB OTG**|
|v1.9||9.0 or later*||USB OTG**|
** Devices that do not support USB OTG are not compatible
What is USB OTG?
USB OTG, or USB on-the-go, is a feature that allows your Android device to connect and communicate with devices such as storage drives, keyboards, and external cameras. A USB OTG adapter may be necessary to connect your device to a Dino-Lite. Not every Android device supports USB OTG, it is up to the device manufacture to enable and support it.
Some Dino-Lite models are eligible for firmware updates to enable compatibility with Android 9 or newer. Please see our firmware update guide for more information: android_firmware_update.pdf (dinolite.us)
Installing DinoDirect via Sideloading
Since DinoDirect is no longer available to download from the Google Play Store users need to install the app using a method called Sideloading. The procedure for Sideloading an app can vary, but the process is usually as follows:
- Download the DinoDirect app from our Downloads page using your Android device.
- If you’re using a browser, you’ll typically see an option to “Open” it after downloading. In other cases, you might open it from the “Downloads” folder in the file manager.
- A pop-up message will inform you that you need to allow the app to “install unknown apps” before you can install the APK. Tap “Settings” to be taken there.
- Toggle the switch on to “Allow From This Source.” You will need to do this for any app you use to install APKs.
- Now you can tap “Install” on the next pop-up to finish installing the APK.